Thursday, February 21, 2008

Eclipse eclipsed

I must say, I found the lunar eclipse last night to be a bit disappointing... granted, our sky was totally cloudy and it just looked like a little reddish, fuzzy blob, but ever since seeing Saturn through a telescope in my astronomy class in college (which was seriously, SOOOO awesome), I always have high expectations for announced "big happenings" in the heavens.

Something that I have always really wanted to see is a total solar eclipse. According to trusty Wikipedia the next ones that could possibly be convenient for me to view would be August 21, 2017, visible from Idaho and Wyoming-which are worth driving to, if I end up living in Utah. And if the East becomes my home, never fear, I have only to wait a few more years because on April 28, 2024 there will be another, visible from the Eastern US.

I've already marked my calendar :)

5 comments:

Mel said...

I want to see one of those too! Can we make a date of it? Also, do you remember our lame attempts at viewing Mars (not Lindsay's) when it was super close to Earth that one time? Those were some good times...

Andy said...

I enjoyed the eclipse last night. It was a beautiful clear night in Portland and it was really cool to watch. Maybe I was just so happy with having clear skies in Portland in February that I would of thought anything in the sky was beautiful.

Anyway, I'm in for a total solar eclipse.

MommaMcCarthy said...

Sweet! We can all totally make a camping trip out of it! I bet Wyoming is beautiful in August :)

Lindsay said...

Just so you know, I have had August 21, 2017, on my calendar since we went to the planetarium on the first annual Downtown Night. Seriously. However, I've been planning to view it from Tennessee and visiting Graceland while I'm there. Can we do that instead of lamo Wyoming?

Anyway, like Andy, I enjoyed the lunar eclipse, but we had a very clear sky. It seemed to give the moon a more 3D appearance at times. However, I agree with Libby, that I've seen several other "big happenings" that had a better shock value. On that note, a meteor crash landed in the northwest a few days ago...the size of a computer monitor!!!

brie said...

Yeah, the eclipse was lame this year. On the plus side, it was really fun to find your blog!!!