Monday, April 21, 2008

Sorry About the Ample Alliterations...


Hmmm, what has happened recently worth writing about? My life is moving quickly through big and little happenings, but nothing very thought provoking or particularly worth expounding upon has been on my mind as of late. I didn't mean for this blog to turn into a personal travel-log, a reminder that I actually have been filling my time with things that "need" to be done, but to update the past two weeks, this is all I have to report.

My sister had a successful ward bridal shower, fully equipped with tulips, carol b's delicious rolls and famous spinach salad, and angel food cake with strawberries. (Can you tell how my life currently revolves around food?) I think the most interesting gift she received was a single bar stool... or maybe it was the roll of wrapping paper: "I was going to wrap your present, but then I realized that if I didn't, YOU could use the paper for later!" We all had a good laugh at that. (Clearly this was a gift from a very practical aunt- my dad's side of the family.)

Wouldn't it be funny if everyone started doing that? Instead of wrapping the present, just including the wrapping paper as part of the gift, for the receiver to use at a later gift-giving time? However, we would all slowly accrue piles of wrapping paper that we would simply re-gift for other people to wrap their gifts with, and nobody would ever wrap their presents. Kind of a silly scenario.

Personally, I LOVE wrapping presents.

There's something about turning large rolls of pristine paper into carefully crafted coverings and topping it off with some sort of accent to tie it all together- not necessarily a bow- that just completely fills my heart with glee. Not to mention the super sense of satisfaction that comes from using an oddly shaped left-over scrap to perfectly hide your special secret. Conquered. Bliss.

However, there is one downside that a cheapskate like me must not fail to mention. I always, always, always forget to remember (hah) how cute paper and card always add a fairly significant percentage to the final price tag of the gift. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer buying "the perfect thing" for other people than for myself; but I'm also a strong believer in budgets and it is a bit annoying to have this extra expense unexpectedly exist. I mean really... does it make sense to wrap a $10 gift in $5 worth of wrappings? This is a 50% increase in cost!! Very tricky to try and justify.

The solution, of course, is to have plenty on hand so that the cost is far away in the past and harder to be aware of mentally . :)

Interesting how this post has turned out. I could mention other recent happenings, but I think I shall give a house-search update and my quest for avoiding maternity clothes in anther post.

Before I go, though, I would like to mention that I have finally purchased a pair of leggings, and am quite enjoying their comfort at this time.

1 comment:

Laura said...

At my ward bridal shower my most unique gift was a plate. A single random plate that didn't match the china pattern or every day pattern I'd registered for! What should I do with this plate? My suggestions so far: use it as a serving dish.