Friday, August 1, 2008

Awesome Pants and Giant Ants

A couple of things:

1)  My life just got 10 times better yesterday - I got a new pair of pants!

Usually, though it's fun to get new clothes, a new piece of wearable fashion rarely does more for me than allow me to brag about how cheap it was (because if I bought it, it was cheap) and make me feel a bit more "hip" or "cute" or "stylin" for a little while.  But this new article is an extraordinary bit of fabric.  Indeed.  And anyone who knows me, and finds out that I paid FULL PRICE for these (i.e. they were not on sale-  I'm no thief!) would instantly have gigantic red flags furiously waving in their brains because Libby never buys clothing unless it's on sale.  

Until yesterday.

These pants are a breath of fresh air.  Literally.  What's so great about them, you ask?  Well, honestly, I don't think anyone could possible understand until they've carried around a small child (that feels really huge) as if someone has decided to attach a watermelon to their front.  I didn't realize how uncomfortable all my other maternity pants were until I tried Motherhood Maternity's Secret-fit Belly. Sitting is once again comfortable!  No red lines under the belly and I have lost that breezy, I-feel-like-a-disgusting-man-with-a-beer-belly-so-huge-that-no-shirt-will-cover-it sensation.  All I can say is I'll be wearing these every day until the little one decides to emerge and I'm not looking back.

2) We have ants.  Big ones.

It's weird though because I'm not really sure what they're doing.  I've watched and watched their trail and they are not headed anywhere near our food.  They commence from a small hole between the molding and tile right next to the front door on the right side.  Then they crawl along the base of the door into another hole in the molding and tile on the other side of the door (on the left).  A little bit later it emerges and returns to the initial hole (on the right).  There is no sign of food or carrying anything of any kind.  Very strange.  Also, I rarely see more than one or two out at a time.

I have considered that maybe the ant that reappears from the left side is not the same one that entered, so I started sucking them up with a vacuum.  It seems that nothing comes out unless something went in.  (unless they're smart enough to wait for me to leave...)  

We tried squirting that ant food stuff that they're supposed to eat up and take back to the colony to kill the whole lot, but it hasn't worked.  I might add that we had some much smaller ants in the guest-bath shower, and the same ant food seemed to work like a charm.  But these ants won't even touch the ant-food.  

Any suggestions?

In the mean time, I have permanently parked our vacuum right next to the front door, and every time I pass by, I look for my next victim.  I don't think I've killed so many bugs in my life as I have this week alone.  I probably suck up about 20 ants everyday and they just keep coming.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

carpenter ants? (they eat the wood in your house like termites and are large- I'd call the exterminator, but have a sample in a plastic bag when he comes)

I'm glad my years of being an RA in pest infested BU dorms is finally paying off!

-good luck

Robins Nest said...

Ooooh!!! I remember seeing one at your house. It was creepy. I would definitely want to get rid of them too. Hope they are nothing serious.

LRH said...

We have ants too!I can't figure out where mine are coming from though. At first they were just in the kitchen, but now I find them all over. I have the same ant food lying around that's supposed to kill them, but I'm not sure if it's working. I am a heartless ant killer though. No mercy.