Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Bedtime Songs

For awhile, at bedtime, instead of singing 2 songs to Peach, as usual, she has requested to sing to me the second song.  The first time she did it, I quickly realized it was a stalling technique...  She "sang" nonstop for about 5 minutes about everything and nothing.  Whenever she begins her song, it always starts out, "Houses everywhere..." and then she throws in everything she can see in the room, and other tidbits of information she picked up that day or sometime recently.

The tune is unrecognizable to me and there seems to be no real rhythm.  (either that, or the time signature changes frequently...)

It's cute all the same. :)

Peach has gone through quite a few phases with her bedtime song routine, and I thought it would be fun to record them.  Her requests, for a long, long time, used to always be ABCs and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star- I realized later that it was because her "blankie" has letters on one side and stars on the other.  After awhile, she would want to sing Twinkle Twinkle while I did the actions.  (didn't know there were actions?  that's because I made them up! :D)
Later, she started requesting Popcorn Popping and either ABCs or Twinkle Twinkle for the 2nd song.  Slowly, we started changing the words to Popcorn Popping and we had all kinds of things growing on our trees - pancakes flipping & eyeballs rolling are two that come to mind.  Then she always requested Kookaburra and the other song would change.

When I put Hazel down for a nap and I always sing the same 2 songs to her (I've discovered, if you always always sing the same songs before bed, it acts as a kind of sleepy trigger- a signal that it's time to go to sleep.  Never fails, when I start the routine she starts yawning!  Try it!) "Gunk, Gunk" which is a song I'm pretty sure my mom made up- because of the funny "gunk" noise, it gets babies' attention- but I have expanded it to many other animals (it's basically a song about the sounds different animals make.) The "gunk" is kind of a hard sound to describe... you're not really saying "gunk".  It's more of a deep clicking in the back of your throat... or something...  Anyway, the original verse is
gunk gunk
said the little green frog one day
gunk gunk
said the little green frog
gunk gunk
said the little green frog one day
and his eyes went
gunk gunk gunk

So I have added other verses with other sounds:
blub blub says the little blue fish, and his gills went...
ssss ssss says the little red snake, and his tongue went...
bzzz bzzzz says the bumble bee, and his wings went...
tick tock (really tongue clicking) says the little white clock, and his hands went...
cows, pigs, dogs, cats, ducks...

you could probably sing it indefinitely, but I usually just sing those first 5 rounds of it.

The other song is "Give, Said the Little Stream".  So there is a fun song and a quieter song.  Anyway.....

The other day, I think the monitor was one when I sang to Hazel, and Peach really really likes to pretend to be a baby lately...  So she's been requesting "Gunk, Gunk" now.  However, every single time I sing it she interrupts me and says, "mom, frogs don't say "gunk gunk", they say, "ribbit ribbit"!"  And I have to tell her that there are two kinds of frogs- some that say "ribbit" and some that say "gunk".  This one says "gunk".

I usually sing to Peach in her room first, and then sing to The Frog second.  He always asks me what Peach requested before choosing his songs, just in case she asked for something particularly silly so he can get that one too.

Some other bedtime favorites are:
The Baby Bumble Bee
I've Been Eaten by a Boa Constrictor
I Am A Child of God
I Love to See the Temple
How Much is that Doggy in the Window? (and more verses about a cat, fish and bird)
Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam (and it's counterpart- daddy wants me for a snowman)
A Child's Prayer
Families Can Be Together Forever
I'm Trying to be Like Jesus

What are your favorite bedtime songs?

No comments: