Wednesday, August 1, 2007

It's Paste, isn't it?

I had an ingenious idea the other day. After a bit of googling, I'm finding out that I'm not the only one, BUT I want credit for thinking of it anyway.

Why does everyone insist on selling tomato paste in a can? I've never used a recipe that called for a whole can... it's always tablespoons at a time. Then I'm thrown into this frantic state of "I have an open can of tomato paste sitting in my fridge (ew) and I need to only make recipes that call for tomato paste until it's gone". Yeah, I could dump it into a small tupperware container (and waste some of the scrapings)... OR I could buy it in a tube! (just like toothpaste) Hello! What an amazing idea! I'll squirt out my tablespoon, screw the lid back on, and stick it back into my refrigerator until I need it again. Genious! Yet, grocery stores insist upon selling it in cans... Perhaps I'll have to do all my tomato paste shopping online, from now on.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Homemade spaghetti sauce or any tomato based sauce uses at least one can of paste in the recipe depending on the amount you make. To thicken:) You could always just make spaghetti sauce with the can remnants and freeze it.

MommaMcCarthy said...

you and always freezing things...

good idea though :)