Sunday, October 7, 2012

Nesting?

It's funny, this pregnancy I haven't had much to really DO for the baby before she got here (get out baby stuff from boxes and wash.  done.) yet I've been making lists like crazy for things I want to get done before she gets here- mostly unfinished projects.  I've been nicking away, little bits of all of them, but still have almost nothing to show for myself...  Occasionally, I'll add something to the list right after I complete it (clean out shed) so I can have something else crossed off :)

Just so I feel like I've accomplished something and so I remember why I've taken almost no pictures and keep forgetting to blog the funny things the kids say, this is what I've been working on since Early September:
  1. Reorganize kids' closets so girl clothes are in Peach's closet, future boy clothes are in The Frog's, and baby boy clothes are in the garage
  2. Get out baby clothes, wash and inventory if anything is needed
  3. Buy New Born sized diapers- thank you Amazon!
  4. Wash infant carseat cover, bundle me and swing cover
  5. Move carseats to accommodate baby carseat
  6. Recover glider cushions- my neighbor just gave me an old glider (hurray!) but it's been outside on their patio and it needs a bit of love.  I knew I wouldn't have time to refinish it, but I thought I could at least recover the cushions.  My super-mom offered to do it for me AND refinish it AND she's using fabric she had just lying around so it feels free!!  I am so blessed!  Thanks Mom!
  7. Finish baby quilt- sooo close.  I could be done now, but I think I want to quilt something where the block border intesect.  Then the binding and I'm done.
  8. Finish quiet book- this is probably not going to happen.  I started it years ago and I hate working on it and I still don't have a definite plan.  
  9. Finish Peach's 1st year scrapbook- I now have 3 pages left to layout and then I just have to go back and glue things in place.  
  10. Put kids' summer clothes away- Peach is done, now for The Frog
  11. Get back door deadbolt installed- my dad just agreed to do this for me.  yay!
  12. Move Crib back to The Frog's room after already moving it to Peach's (again)- we didn't have a real plan on where the new babe would be, but I'm now thinking when she shares a room it will probably be with The Frog because he's a deeper sleeper at night.
  13. Get rid of wasps by the patio- We have TONS of wasps crawling in and out of this crack by our patio.  Terminex did did something to get rid of them. But then they came back.  But then Terminex came back.  But then they came back.  But then we got a frost last night, so I think they're dead now for good?
  14. Stay on top of garden produce- we have been eating it... but I know a lot will be wasted.  Anyone in need of cherry tomatoes?!  Thanks to my mom, all our pears have been dried :)
  15. Find a cleaner to help out when baby gets here- this is proving SO much harder than it should.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I don't really want to go through a company because they're more expensive than individuals but when people don't call you back...
  16. Call electrician to move upstairs thermostat and replace it with Nest- I had to call more than one electrician to get someone to call me back here too.  Isn't my money good enough for people?  But seriously, Nest is awesome!!  (you know you're a home-owner when a new thermostat excites you :D)
  17. Make a food storage plan - I have a great start.  I decided to just make a 7-day meal plan (I'm toying with a 14-day plan, if I can manage it) made of exclusively food storage friendly items and then calculate how much of everything I'd need for first 3 months, then 6 months, etc until we can build up to a year.  I feel so frustrated by the general guidelines for food storage because I feel like if I ever had to use them, how would I know what percentage of what kinds of (for example) grains our family would use?  When I'm done, I'll probably share.  I have a lot to say about food storage and have found some awesome websites.  It will probably be its own post.
  18. Take inventory of current food storage items- this actually ended up being a fun counting activity for The Frog
  19. Clean & refill 55 gallon water barrels- we inherited 2 of these from the previous owners of our home, but who knows when the last time they were cleaned out.  Actually, one of them was missing a bung cap and The Frog has been putting rocks, pears, leaves... in it since he could walk.  We dumped it out the other day and there was even a ROPE in there!  It's going to be hard to shake the rest of the stuff out...
  20. Construct Water Barrel storage- my amazing dad did this for me!  It's awesome!
  21. Buy Water Barrel accessories- I don't even have a bung wrench to open them to clean them out!  My dad helped me open them though.  However, it and two faucets are on their way.
  22. Clean out shed- happened spur of the moment, but needed to be done
  23. Clean grill - I haven't taken things out to clean them since we bought it 2 years ago.  ew.
  24. Make a dinner plan for 1 month to cycle through-  I kinda cheated and started this project last winter/spring before I got pregnant and quit.  For me, the hardest part about making dinner is just deciding what to make.  Once that's done, it's brainless and easy.  I'm hoping to even have stream-lined shopping lists for each week.
  25. Plan Family Home Evening lessons for a month- just so I don't have to do it once the baby comes.  I have general topics now, but haven't fleshed out the details yet.
  26. Halloween Costumes- The Frog and Peach are basically done- I went extremely simple this year.  Jay, not at all, though I should have all the supplies.  I confess, I'm planning to re-wear something... I have materials for the babe, but I don't want to make anything until I can measure her.  Newborn heads are much smaller than everyone thinks they are...
  27. Re-make freezer inventory (this looks way nicer in Numbers.  Google spreadsheets are hard to format for printing)- I used to have an awesome system going where I made a spreadsheet of everything I typically freeze, laminated it, and stuck it to the freezer in the garage with a magnet and I even found a magnetic, mini-expo marker with an eraser build into the lid!  It worked great because I'm the only person who generally takes things out of that freezer, so I kept the inventory accurate and I could see what I had at a glance.  Sadly, The Frog became privy and tall enough to reach it and kept scribbling things out or erasing things and eventually lost the sheet for me.  :/  I need to do it again because it was so nice to have.  I'll just have to hang it high up on the wall this time?  The thought of taking everything out just makes me tired...
  28. Bind The Frog's bed quilt- I finished piecing this thing last JANUARY.  I'm so ashamed... I couldn't decide on how to quilt it, and then I came up with an awesome plan that was just too awesome and daunting, and then I got pregnant and then I decided, there's no way it's going to get done if I do it myself. :(  I just HATE having someone else do the quilting because I take pride in doing the whole thing All By Myself!  (I'm starting to sound like some little someones I know...)  A quilt just takes so much heart to put together!  Luckily, my sister-in-law's mother has access to a long-arm machine quilter and at a good price.  For some reason, it's just easier for sentimentality purposes to let a friend help rather than just blatantly paying a stranger to work on my quilt :)  Anyway, she just sent it back to me this week and now it's waiting to be bound.  I can do it!
  29. "Winterize" front closet- I had the brilliant idea to vacuum storage all our coats last spring so our front closet wouldn't feel so cluttered.  I'm scared to get them out again because I fear there won't be enough room...
  30. Finish October quilt blocks- I'm taking a quilt-block-of-the-month class and we have 2 blocks to complete each month.  They are turned in the second Saturday of each month.
  31. Finish November quilt bocks- I want to finish these before the Babe gets here.
So, what do you think.  Am I crazy?  I've almost done half... (14/31) I have 3 weeks before the due date, and my other two kids came early...

If you don't hear from me again until she gets here, now you know why :)




3 comments:

cheryl said...

You are amazing! Wow!! I want your month long dinner list!

Lindsay said...

1- yes you are crazy, 2-i want tomatoes and any other produce from your garden, 3-i've heard there are some good cleaning deals through groupon

pollywog said...

Oh how I laughed when I saw your comment on adding an item to the list you'd already done so you could cross if off - I thought maybe I was the only person who did that!

Your organization and planning are so impressive - I could hardly even read the entire list let alone imagine completing all the items on it!