Friday, June 14, 2013

Sun Oven Chronicles- Flourless Chocolate Decadance

I admit.... if there's ever an emergency, I doubt I will be needing to bake a flourless chocolate torte... BUT I needed to make some for a YW activity (we were sharing our best recipes.  If you love chocolate... THIS is the cake for you!) and since I was making a double batch and it needs to be baked in a waterbath, I didn't quite have enough room in my regular oven to bake them all, so I decided to try out one of my 6" rounds in the Sun Oven, even though in the how-tos, one of the trouble-shooting things that can go wrong in the sun oven is having too much condensation on the glass, which can prevent the oven from getting as much sun inside... (was that sentence long enough for you?)
As you can see, it totally worked!!  I put my 6" cake pan inside an 9"x9" dark glass pyrex with about 1" of water and baked them in late afternoon.

This was a double experiment because the recipe has you make one batch in an 8" round (must be 2" high, and that even usually goes way over the top for me...), and I made a double batch into  2-6" rounds and 12 muffin tins, and had enough left over for 1 ramekin as well.  Point being, one 8" round is to be baked for 30 minutes, and I wasn't sure how long to do the smaller ones.  I think I baked this 6" round for 30 in the Sun Oven (my muffins only baked for about 15 minutes, and the otheI think...)  They both tasted great, but for some reason the Sun Oven one actually came out of the pan easier.  Weird...

However, not all my experiments have turned out dandy, as you shall soon see...

No comments: