Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Spread

Before I get onto talking about the delectables, I would like to brag about how awesome my amazingly amorific husband is. On Thanksgiving, he woke up earlier than I did (I woke up at 6:30) and not only emptied the dishwasher, BUT put in the huge pile of dishes left from "the-day-before" preparations and ran those dishes AND then emptied those so that I would have a cleared counter, every possible kitchen item at my disposal, and a completely empty dishwasher. YEAH. He's just that awesome. You're the best Jay!

Thanksgiving was not typical (though I seem to have lost a sense of "typical Thanksgiving" ever since I went away to college) but turned out much better than I thought it would. Since my parents are on a mission, all my local family did Thanksgiving with the in-laws, and so I was expecting to have a huge feast for just us- as in 2.5 of us. For me, that goes against all things Thanksgiving. Luckily, my long-lost friend from 7th grade and I have recently made efforts to hang out and discovered that we were both suffering from a lack of crowd for Thanksgiving dinner. We decided to merge and it was quite lovely!

I was pleasantly surprised about how non-stressful it was. Kathryn, was oh so kind to take on a side, rolls, AND dessert, even though she was working graveyard shift the night before (unbeknownst to me. I promise). So that just left me the turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, and another dessert. (I don't care how many people are there. You need at least 1 dessert for every 2 people!) At the last second I decided we needed greenery, so I threw some frozen peas in the microwave. The end product?

My favorite item would have to be the rolls. Don't worry, I got the recipe. :)


I stupidly, forgot to take pictures of the people- a common flaw of mine. And I didn't manage to get a shot of Kathryn's pumpkin cheesecake. mmmmm. BUT here are my pecan pies. Why did I make two, you ask? Because I have trouble following butter instructions in recipes. I don't know what it is, but if they don't tell you how many sticks you need, I'll probably screw it up. I accidentally put in twice the amount of butter, so had to double the recipe to save my skin. This is a bit risky, as I had never made pecan pie before, but ours turned out ok. (We gave the other one to Kathryn and her hubby, Jared. How was it Kat?) I surely had fun decorating them though! :)



And of course, I must include the cutest part of the meal. Doesn't he look adorable in his train conductor overalls?

No comments: