Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Big Boy Bed

Not a whole lot has been going on around here, as I've been getting over a cold and planning a baby shower. I keep forgetting to take photos, though I probably have ample opportunity every day. I had to put at least one of The Frog sucking his thumb and poking his belly-button. Lately he's been asking me to unzip his full-bodied pjs so he can touch his belly when he falls asleep. So funny!
So, I had a coupon for 20% to BabysRUs and decided to use it to get a new mattress for baby #2. (no name yet) I got a free toddler bed from freecycle and after having it sit in our garage for months, I decided to finally get out there and clean it off and set it up. I thought it would be good to have around so The Frog can see it and get used to it and we can start talking it up. I just KNEW that it would be a big pain to get him to stay in bed if not in the crib, and we'd need plenty of time to train him before we need to hand the crib over to the next one. The very first night I set it up, during our bedtime talk (I always ask about his day after prayers) I told him what the "big boy bed" was for. I could tell he understood by his reaction and the next day he asked to take his nap in it. I reminded him that the only way he could sleep in it is if he was a big boy and stayed there during his whole nap. Much to my surprise, he willingly did it! We did the same thing that night at bed-time and it worked again... however, we woke up at about 2am to a big thud and a crying little boy. He moves around quite a bit in his sleep and he ended up on the floor. After that, I couldn't get him to settle back down and he slept the rest of the night in his crib. Since then (it's been several weeks), he has taken one other nap in the bed, and all other attempts to get him to stay there have failed miserably. Anyone have any ideas?! I'm going to have to make it a huge privilege somehow, but I haven't figured out what will work yet. For now, he enjoys reading and playing on his bed and putting all his stuffed animals on there so they can take a nap. :)

No comments: