Monday, February 25, 2013

Emergency Preparedness Month- Delicious Dinner Rolls with Powdered Milk and Eggs

So, I can't believe with how many times I've made these amazing rolls, I have never taken a photo!!  (And I haven't made them since I've been off dairy, and don't plan too.  That would be pure torture!)  So I had to use the one from the original source- Our Best Bites.  If you haven't checked out this food blog, you should.  Everything I have made from there has been good!

Anyway, I have adjusted their amazing recipe so that I can use food storage and they didn't seem any different, AT ALL.  Also, since we're using powdered milk, we don't have to heat it up, so it saves time as well!  Also, I just use instant yeast, so I also don't proof the yeast.  (Cue laughter from Jay, "so you say you used their recipe, eh?"  Alright, so I made a few changes...)  So, here goes:

1/3 c butter, melted (OR 1/3 c pureed beans- preferably light colored ones.  However, there is a detected difference when you swap out the butter, as you might imagine.  They are a bit denser and have little flecks, but they were still good.)
1/2 c sugar
2 t kosher salt
8-9 c all-purpose flour  (I have not tried subbing any wheat yet.  I'm sure it will affect them, and I'm not ready... I definitely would not sub more than half the flour for wheat if you want to keep them light.)
3 T dehydrated egg powder (or whatever your can says to use to get 3 eggs)
6 T non-instant milk powder (or 3/4 c instant milk powder or whatever your can says to use to get 2 c milk)
2 3/4 c warm water (should feel warm to your hand, but not so hot you get burned)
1 1/2 T instant yeast
Melt butter in microwave.  Add sugar and salt until dissolved.

(or, if you're using bean puree, just add the sugar and salt to the dry ingredients in the next step, and add the beans after those are combined.)

Start with 3 c flour in your mixer, add egg powder and milk powder and mix until combined.

Mix in butter/sugar/salt mixture until thoroughly mixed in, about 30 seconds on low.  Now pour in water and sprinkle yeast on top.

Now mix everything on low 30 seconds and then high for a couple of minutes.

Now add flour, 1 cup at a time, until you get a soft dough that begins pulling away from the sides.  (I put my KitchenAid mixer at a 2)  The dough will still be rather sticky.  Don't worry!

Put the bowl in a warm place, covered with a towel, and let rise for an hour, or until doubled in size.

Punch down the dough and divide into 2 balls.  Roll out one ball onto a well-floured surface into a square and use a pizza-cutter to cut into 12 equal rectangles.  (Good luck with this part.  Mine are never really that even... I sometimes have to steal bits from large rectangles and squish them in with smaller ones).

Form the rectangles into balls by tucking the corners under continuously until you have a nicely formed ball.  Place them onto a jelly-roll pan sprayed with Pam or preferably with a Silpat.  (If you don't own one of these and like to bake, you should!)  I put my balls on the sheet in a 4x6 grid, giving you 24 rolls, after repeating the process with the other ball of dough.  (Note:  I tend to put my larger balls on the outside and my smaller ones on the inside.  Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's a nice idea, right?)

Cover again, and let rise again 30 minutes.  Preheat your oven to 375 when they've risen 15 or 20 minutes (depending on how long it takes your oven to preheat).  Now bake these beauties for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Your mouth will be watering well before they come out.  They will make your house smell wonderful!

Eat hot with butter.  (obviously!)

Do it.  You can thank me later!

No comments: