Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day

So, I married into Irish blood (McCarthy, yeah?).  For some reason, now, I feel like St. Patrick's Day should be a bigger deal for our family.  SO, I tried really hard this year to pull off the traditional corned beef & cabbage thing, even though I've never had it in my life...  I also had this "brilliant" breakfast idea.  hahaha.  I think I was the only one who appreciated it.  Do you see the four-leaf clover fried egg?  and toast cut out to be a clover?  (thanks Jay for eating all the kids' crusts.  That would normally be my job, but I can no longer eat butter....) And a green fruit just to top it all off!
 And here's the corned beef & cabbage:
 I admit, I was pleasantly surprised.  For some reason, boiled cabbage sounds so lack-luster and deflated to me.  It's the kind of thing you read about in books that poor people are eating.  (isn't that what Charlie Bucket's family eats every night?)  But I was surprised by how vibrant and pretty the whole thing looked!
I also made "clover" rolls, just because that's how I roll. har har.

I told The Frog that when I was a kid, I tried to always wear underwear that had green on it for the special day, and he thought that was a great idea. :)

Hope you didn't get pinched!

1 comment:

cheryl said...

you will have to tell me how you cooked your corned beef. I've been wanting to make some but didn't know how to prepare it. I love your idea of doing red pepper for baby food and then adding any leftover to meals--brilliant! I just discovered the byu discount at sprouts. I made this red pepper recipe recently. It was so easy and good with the pesto. I used regular red bell peppers in the crockpot and they tasted great.

http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/roasted-red-pepper-chicken-and-pesto-sandwich-crock-pot/