Friday, March 29, 2013

Baby Food Friday: Carrots

In the past I have always sliced carrots in my food processor, steamed them, and then pureed them.  This time, I thought I'd try roasting them, just because roasted carrots are so much sweeter.  However, I generally roast them (for dinner) with olive oil and salt, and I want to keep the baby food plain.  I just roasted them outright, and though it was fine (I had to add about 1 cup of water to the puree process...) next time I would cover the pan with foil to keep in more of the moisture.  Here's what I did in painful more detail:

1) Preheat the oven to 350 and then peel about 1 1/2 pounds of carrots

aren't they so pretty?
 2) Cut off the ends
 3) Cut the fat ones in quarters the long ways, and skinnier ones in half.  Then cut each carrot into about 3-4 inch pieces.
 4) Put them on a foil lined & Pam sprayed pan or use your amazing Silpat and cover them with foil.
5) Bake them for 45 minutes to an hour (I did an hour) or until fork tender.  (and enjoy the smell in your house.)
6) Let them sit on the counter or in your food processor until you have time to deal with them
 7) Puree in food processor.  You may want to add some water.
 8) Spread in ice cube tray (12 exactly! wahoo!) and cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer.
9) When you get a second, some days later, pop into a labeled freezer bag for your future convenience.

No comments: