Last Saturday was Dr. Seuss's birthday, and I thought it would be fun to make a crazy cake to celebrate. (plus, I've been having cake withdrawals since I went off dairy and I wanted to try making dairy free frosting...)
Turns out, some brands and flavors of boxed cake mixes are dairy free, so I thought I'd just use one of those, and focus my experimental energy on the frosting. I used a Western Family yellow cake mix, and after mixing it all together, separated it into 3 bowls and dyed one reddish-orange, dyed one green, and one blue (leaving the original yellow color in the mixing bowl). Then I poured the yellow and red into one 6" cake pan, and the blue and green into the other. I thought using 6" cake pan would make it extra tall and funny-looking... kinda Dr. Seussy, right?
I guess I didn't Pam & flour my pans well enough because neither one came out very cleanly, and almost ALL of the yellow part of the yellow/red cake got stuck in. Oh well, I thought. Nothing a little frosting couldn't fix, right?
On to the frosting... I should preface this with the fact that I never use a recipe when I make butter cream frosting... Just a stick of butter, at room temp, a smidge of milk, a tich of vanilla, and add powdered sugar until the consistency is good. easy peasy. So I thought I'd do the same, but sub all the dairy ingredients for non-dairy ones.
Long story short, I used a combination of coconut cream and Earth Balance Soy Spread, instead of butter (but the soy spread was not at room temp...) and I think I accidentally added too much coconut milk. I could NOT get the frosting to have a thick enough consistency and had to add way too much powdered sugar. The frosting tasted almost like pure sugar and so I stopped.
I started frosting the cake (which was ever so slightly still warm. BIG mistake) and it soon became obvious that the cake with a large chunk missing from its bottom was not going to stay put! The frosting acted like more of a lubricant and the two layers were just sliding all over the place. I decided to stick some BBQ skewers into the two layers to hold them in place, and put the cake in the cold garage to set-up before I finished frosting it. Next time I went to check on the cake, it looked like this.