Monday, April 1, 2013

Homemade Corn Flakes

**Update!  Now that the joke's over, I will feel bad if anybody actually tries to MAKE these!  I've been getting a lot of google search hits.  This was an April Fool's joke.  I didn't actually do it and just made up random proportions....  Best of luck to you in your homemade, corn flake escapades!**

Is it just me, or is cereal surprisingly expensive?  
Since going dairy-free, I've been reading a lot of ingredient labels lately and one time I was looking at the ingredient list for corn flakes: milled corn, sugar, malt flavor, and 2% or less of salt.

I thought wow!  no crazy sounding ingredients!  I wonder if I could make that myself...  After some experimenting, this is what I came up with...
I started off with popcorn, and ground it (okay, I made the kids do it.  It's "fun"!) with my hand grinder into this:
 But you could just use cornmeal.  It's really a rather simple recipe!

Ingredients:
1 c cornmeal
1 T sugar
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 c water
Directions:

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Mix cornmeal, sugar, soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl and stir well to combine. (I use a wire whisk)
-Add water to the dry ingredients, until no lumps remain.
-Pour out into a big blob on your amazing Silpat (Pam-sprayed foil might work?  I haven't tried it) and smooth it out to a thin layer.
-Bake 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool, and then break up into little corn-flake-looking pieces.




The main down-side is that one batch is only really one bowl of cereal... so you'd have to have a lot of pans and Silpats to make it worth it.  But seriously,  doesn't it look exactly like Kellogg's Corn Flakes?










That's because it is.

April Fools!! :)
(did I trick you?)


4 comments:

pollywog said...

I was all ready to be like oooooh, ahhhh. =)

Mama Chick said...

you are so nerdy

McCall said...

The whole time I was trying to figure out how you made flakes out of the dough...

Sneaky, sneaky!

Anonymous said...

Homemade cornflakes, how fabulous. You are very clever and resourceful. You are definitely not nerdy as one of the other commenter's described you. Thank you so muchfor this recipe. I'm cooking a batch as I type this.