Friday, April 5, 2013

Baby Food Friday: Broccoli

"Having to eat your broccoli."  The classic chore always mentioned in advertisements and kid shows.

My kids have never had a problem with broccoli.

Broccoli Baby Food Directions:
1) Put a few inches in a large pot.
2) Wash and cut off the stems until the point where they start branching.
3) Stick broccoli in your pot, stem down.  Turn the stove on to hi.

4) Let steam until fork tender and brighter green.  (I honestly have no idea how long.  I don't keep track.  Empty the dishwasher, check on them.  Make lunch, check on them... It's pretty hard to ruin.)


5) Puree in food processor or blender.





6) Put in ice cube trays and wrap with plastic wrap.


7) Next time you think about it, pop them out and put in a labeled freezer bag for your convenience.

I think I went a little overkill, and maybe did too much.  I did two bunches from the store (w/ elastic) and filled both of my ice cube trays (that's 30 servings!!) and still had about 1/4 cup left.  But, as I said before, extra pureed vegetables is not a problem.  You can throw them in just about any sauce or any smoothie, like so:
It looks disgusting, if you're not used to eating brown/green smoothies, but it tastes just like strawberry banana!  And if you make smoothies like this for your kids while they're young, they won't bat an eyelash at the gross color.

No comments: